Monday, July 13, 2009

Travelling Down South

Speaking of JB (Johor Bahru)... Thanks to my old buddy Moganah for the invitation to attend her brother Sasi's wedding.

So near and yet so far... not anymore
I used to tell this to my mom. And finally, I went there last Friday. Here's a near the JB KTM station:



I found JB to be nice. There are traffic congestions, but not as bad as in the Klang Valley. The many huge shopping malls reminded me somewhat of the nostalgic land of the rising sun...with many shopping areas around.

The Trip
I took the Singapore-bound KTM from KL Sentral on Friday morning. The journey took about 6 hours. Actually, it won't take up to so long, but for the fact that the train stops at Gemas for a longer period. This, from what my dad told me, is because the train will wait for the coaches that are arriving from Tumpat. The engine of the KL train will then take the additional coaches from Tumpat to Singapore.

The 1st Class Coach
Withhold myself not, I bought 1st class tickets for the to-and-fro journey. I'm no lady-of-wealth, but I thought that since 1st class is available and there isn't anything wrong with trying out, why not? At least for just once, if not more. Anyway, travelling in comfort is nice (esp. for long journey); arriving at the destination feeling relaxed and happy. LOL :D



A random photo taken in the coach. Just a photo from the back, because the train was already with passengers by the time I went in. Not too nice to take others' photos, so I only took photo from my seat. 2-to-1 sitting in 1st class. There were more tourists from abroad in the coach than local passengers.

Besides plusher seats, newspapers are provided in the first class coach. During my trip back from JB to KL, I saw a few newspapers; NST, Sunday Star, Sunday Times (the Singapore publication), and Chinese newspapers.

Seemingly Habitual
Note: It's disheartening that some passengers are bad when it comes to putting back things properly after using. The one beside my seat took a copy of Sunday Star, put it at his seat, and went M.I.A. for an hour - probably went for "makan". All other newspapers were being read by others at that time and I was bored with nothing to do after I got up from sleep inside (should've brought a book).

I have thicker skin nowadays, so I didn't hesitate to take the unoccupied newspaper from his seat and read it. A justified act, because the KTM-stamped newspaper does not belong to any single passenger and it's considered self-centered to "book" the newspaper especially when it's just lying there and not being read.

My neighbour came back 30 minutes later, maybe he saw me reading the paper but he didn't say anything. We briefly looked at each other, but kind of understood each other. After finishing, I put it back to its original place where newspapers were kept.


Besides newspaper, passengers were also given bottled water and a slice of cake each. There's movie to watch on the plasma TV, but the TV didn't seem to be in proper function. There's a cafeteria that sells a few types of common meals and snacks. The food are sold at prices higher than outside, e.g. RM 4 for a sandwich. Note though, it's okay to bring your own food as it's perfectly allowed.

Overall, it's a pleasant ride and I was amazed that I didn't feel tired as expected. High probably because of the comfortable and spacious seat. The train passed by many towns that I've never gone to before this. It goes to show that I've not been to many places in my own country.

Like this one below:



Seremban... so near and yet so far. I've only entered the town once for a teambuilding programme at Klana Resort, but I've not really seen what's in the town. I only know that Seremban looks a little like Taiping, but is bigger and more lively than Taiping.

The Wedding
It's the wedding of Moganah's (I call her Mona) eldest brother, Sasi, with Prem. When I reached Mona's house, the ladies were busy getting ready with respect to hairdo, make-ups and attire, for the dinner later.

The ceremony and dinner were held in a hall. Here's a beautiful kolam at the entrance...



A photo of the wedding ceremony:



It was a very nice to be able to experience the traditional Hindu wedding ceremony from the beginning to the end, which I swear I won't get to see because all the while, I only attended dinners and left after finishing my dinner. Another sweet experience was wearing traditional Indian costume for the 1st time ever. A picture with Mona at home:



My scarf got displaced a little...

The Next Day...
Mona was busy throughout the morning and noon as her relatives prepared to return home and Mona sent them to board their transportations. I spent time watching TV and napped. In the evening, we (with Mona and her younger brother) went for dinner. We had Indian food. Tasty, but the portion was very huge and I couldn't finish my food.

It rained in the evening and at night. We went to Danga Bay, but didn't get down or take photos as it was raining. The themepark was also not running due to rain. Later, we went to a pet shop to get food for Mona's pet dog, and then to Aeon Bukit Indah.

On Shopping
Shopping in JB was nice. Choices were plenty, and the clothes are beautiful. Megasale too! Of course, I didn't shop much. I only bought 2 blouses. Didn't want to buy too many things or else it would be a heavy load to carry on the next day.

Sunday Morning, etc
It was a rainy morning and Mona sent me to the station to take the 8.30 train. It was a brief visit, but I had a nice time. At last...

The main building of JB train station from sideways:


Lastly, JB Sentral is coming up. It's still under construction, but this signboard is up now.


I was excited! It's the first time I ever seen the Johor state flag. Wonder if I'm over-excited. I've wanted to take more pictures, for instance the flags, but I dismissed the idea for not wanting to look as though I'm a visitor from another country when I'm in my own country. Just that I've not seen my own country although I've seen the other country (no need to mention anymore as I've mentioned it many times previously). I'd love to travel more if given the opportunity, both domestically as well as further.

No comments:

Post a Comment