Friday, August 3, 2012

Milk oh milk!

Advocating Breastfeeding, but....
Mother's milk is surely the best nourishment for babies.  I'm a supporter of breastfeeding and would like to do so for as long as possible.  Coming from a different path from most mothers out there as I didn't have the privileged opportunity to breastfeed my baby from Day 1, I later realised that it's actually easier said than done.

The Sudden Cessation
Yes, milk just kinda dwindled from about 100 ml per yield to 20 ml.  Who wouldn't be concerned, especially when there's someone in need of milk?

The doctors at Ampang (while I was still there rooming-in with baby) told that I was probably too exhausted but should be able to resume production as usual once I'm back home.

Back home, the situation did not improve.  Left without a choice but to top up.  :(

The Gamble Thus Begins
Similac Neosure
Similac Neosure is formulated for premature babies or babies in need of catching up. My kid likes it... and so do I because it doesn't taste sweet. But still, nothing beats breast milk. 

However, my big nightmare came within a week thereafter when he became constipated.


Eek!
And then we brought the kid to our local pediatrician, who prescribed enema (it contains normal saline solution) to help ease his constipation.  I  dread the idea of having to administer enema to my kid, bearing in mind the discomfort that ensues in the process of "receiving" it.  

My father had told me before that I used have enemas as a baby too.  Oh gosh, my kid seems to be very similar to me... us being premature babies although I was not as prem as him, etc... and now constipated babies.  Poor little fella.

A week later, the kid's constipation didn't improve and we went to the pediatrician again.  This time, she had recommended us to try either Frisolac Comfort (formulated with bean gum for babies prone to reflux and constipation) or Novalac IT (specifically formulated for constipated babies).

Frisolac Comfort
Not really sure which is better, we've first decided to try a small tin of Frisolac Comfort (FC).  2 days after usage, we still didn't see any difference.  In fact, I thought my kid looked more restless and his constipation unimproved with FC, which means FC is not suitable for him.  Sigh......

Taste and texture-wise, FC is thicker than ordinary milk, doesn't taste sweet but smells a bit vanilla.  I notice that the thickness is more so when the milk gets cold, hence making it more difficult to suck through a normal hole on the teat.

Note (added later):  Frisolac Comfort is more suitable for those with reflux problem.  A thicker texture = less likely for milk "come out" after feeding.

Novalac IT
The Novalac IT formula is available at pharmacies.  Here, it costs RM62.50 per tin of 900 g. 
I do not know if this will work or otherwise.  If it doesn't, I really don't know what to do.  It's all because of my own bodily failure,my kid may not be so badly constipated if I had more milk of my own although he'd experienced constipation twice when in NICU where he was exclusively fed on my expressed milk (but it's just twice over a period of 1 1/2 month... not everyday like now).  Why does my body always work against the innocent kid?

Conclusion
Each time I see the restlessness on my kid's face, I feel helpless.  Tummy massage doesn't work, switching formula hasn't proven to work, and my milk production hasn't shown improvement despite consuming what I was advised to consume, and also despite being on a medication to so-call increase prolactin level.  

I wouldn't dare to put a blanket-blame on all formula-using moms.  Not all mothers who use infant formula are lazy.  Although some may use it for convenience reason, there are a number who use it either because they're unable to naturally produce sufficient milk to feed their babies, or the nature of their job is such that there's not opportunity to express milk at workplace (or due to insufficient knowledge about breastfeeding which leads to premature cessation/decline in lactation).

P/S: 
1. The Novalac IT started showing its effect upon consumption for 2 days. Poop comes out soft.  
2. This post is not intended to promote formula milk but only to share a personal experience.  Mother's milk is the best.

21 comments:

  1. Yap,i being thru wat u felt regarding constipation n rather devaststing if my kid dun poo.my paediatrician advised me to give 15cc of 100% prune juice.it helps me by the way.joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... Thanks for sharing Joyce. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know how I can help... Anyway, will keep on praying for you. Hope everything will be ok soon!
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    My bb also has constipation problem when taking similac, enfalac and dulac.

    So, yst I just changed to Frisolac. Hmmm. I hope this works and hope he will poo today or tomorrow.

    keeyit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi keeyit,

    How's your bb doing with his poo-poo now?

    The Novalac IT formula started to show some effect after about 2 days of usage. Poo-poo appears softened each time.

    My bb's poo habit is irregular i.e. once in every 2 days recently though not hard like before. Maybe he follows my trait with this regard coz i used to face the same thing last time. Doc told that it should be ok as long as stool is soft.

    By the way, happy belated full-moon to your bb. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi...my son has the same problem too.its getting worse. I tried novalac but seriously its not working. Don't know what to do now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Malini,
    I'm sorry to hear that your son has constipation too. How many months old is he now?

    On top of the recommendation that babies be exclusively fed with either breast milk / formula for the first 6 months, I found that the intake of plain water e.g. 60 ml a day when my son was about 3 months (corrected age) seemed to help.

    My friend who had given prune juice to her baby told that it's helpful (you may refer to the 1st comment). However, I no longer try giving it to my son as he dislikes even slight sourness.

    According to my dad, as a toddler when I used to face the same problem, my pediatrician used to prescribe a sweet-tasting medication to soften the stool. Later I found out it's Lactulose.

    You may want to seek a pediatrician for advice. Good wishes to you & your little one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Accidentally deleted the comment. Wanted to ask where in KL can I find frisolac comfort..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sharmaine,
    My apologies for the very late reply as I was still in ward from Feb - Apr prior to delivery of baby no. 2... and only managed to log in today.
    My paediatrician told me that friso comfort is available at most retail pharmacies. I bought it at near where I stay (Farmasi Alpha, Jalan Besar, Seri Kembangan).

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have the same problem as well i tried a few different formulas still can't find the one that works well with my 2 year old son and to those that suit his taste buds my boy is really fussy. even after going to the doc the doc said it was pretty normal for kids or babies to be constipated. its cuz of the formulas. i went to my parents for help later they said maybe i should try milk formulas that contains prebiotics
    any milk formulas that contain prebiotics imma give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never heard about Prebiotics like what u've mentioned which can help in treating child's constipation. All i know is DHA which is an element which can help in child growing progress. U all shud feed ur babies with more water and soft foods to go easy on their digestive system so can avoid getting heaty which will lead to constipation later on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i heard of prebiotics in milk formulas before the last i remember was dumex its called mamil
    before this when my son was using fernleaf and its stated less sugar added but its still the same my boy still had constipation problems. people say its cuz of the sugar but what i think its actually the formulas and ingredients and how your child's body adapt to the formulas
    after trying mamil for a week his digestive system seem to improve and he had less constipation problems than before

    ReplyDelete
  14. When selecting the right milk powder, parents have to becareful and alert about the brand of milk powder whether is reliable or not. Try to get those with branded rather than those without a brand name that can help in solving babies constipation. Go for proven brand milk powder but not with cheap price which could harm your child.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Read about an article the importance on choosing the right formula and how it affects your child's health.. They said with the right formula your your child could be very healthy but with the wrong choice parents could have a headache about it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My stepson gaves me a headache cos of his constipation problem. Me n husband does not hv our own child yet.. So he was everything to us.. Feel so helpless seeing him suffer from constipation GOsh..

    ReplyDelete
  17. My 3 months boy was with Pre-nan before shifting to Frisolac Comfort. He had hard stool and colicky. After he took FC, his stool became soft and lighter in colour. However, he started to poo after each feeding which I am quite worry. Paed said it was ok as long as not diarrhea. Anyone with FC has the same experience before?

    ReplyDelete
  18. My child has a different situataution though, he experienced diarrhea. But after switching to Dumex Toddler Formula, his tummy seems fine. I think it all depends on what brand is applicable for our child needs. Don't settle for non branded milk formulas.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Has anyone tried mamil milk
    Saw on their site https://www.mamil.com.my/en/ that its good for constipation

    ReplyDelete
  20. Same problem as your 😢 still figuring out what FM suits my baby. Tried few brand and all causing vomiting abd constipation. I wish i could produce much milk to meet his demand. Not all FM feeding mummies are lazy, true.

    ReplyDelete