Sunday, February 12, 2012

Steamed Chocolate Moist Cake

My latest and humble kitchen project in conjunction with the recent lunar new year is the steamed Chocolate Moist Cake. I found the recipe in my mother's collection, given by one of her friends after we enjoyed the cake very much during Raya a few years ago.

This is a simple yet delicious cake, best served for tea time.

The Ingredients:

2 cups of flour
2 eggs
1 can of evaporated milk
2 tsp soda bicarbonate
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 cups of cooking oil
2 cups sugar (I used 1 1/2 cup of brown sugar)

Method:
1. Sift flour into a large bowl.
2. Put eggs, milk and cooking oil into a blender. Blend until the mixture turns smooth and fluffy.
3. Pour the blended mixture into the bowl of flour. Add in cocoa powder, sugar, soda bicarbonate and mix.
Note: As I do not have an electric mixer, I mixed everything manually for about 40 minutes, using the same direction (i.e. if you're mixing them clockwise, just maintain the same direction... and vice versa).


The batter

4. Pour the batter into a greased cake tin and steam for 1 hour.


Fresh from the steamer and despite the cracks on top, is a smooth-textured chocolate cake. Note that such cracks are not unexpected, just like what we frequently come across in other steamed food such as "pau".

Of all things, I was too busy eating until I forgot to take a picture of a slice of this cake!

Overall, I was glad that the cake turned out fine. Probably inheriting the rare gene from my paternal grandma who's a total non-sweet-tooth, I naturally prefer less sweetness in my food. And so, I reduced the amount of sugar and used brown sugar instead (my brother a.k.a. the retired-chef told me that brown sugar tastes milder than white sugar).

Cakes out there in the market are mostly catered for the liking of the general public, but not those whose "teeth lack sweetness" i.e. non-sweet-tooth. So the only way is to make my own. This is a cake ideally-adjusted for my personal taste bud, but definitely not my sweet-tooth husband who'd prefer the original recipe comprising 2 cups of white sugar. Have I told you before that my husband is a complete opposite of me? :P

3 comments: