Wednesday, April 4, 2012

For Every First Time

Being away for a long time, I wish I was having pleasant moments.

A breakfast served in front of my bed just as the sun began to rise... Isn't it awesome?

Toasted wholemeal bread with roasted tomato, scrambled egg and salad

The reality was far from being sweet. After all, being hospitalised means something's not right.

Unexpectedly So

It was my first time staying in hospital. It was the first time I was on IV drip. I was dehydrated, in pain, unwell, and down with infection. It's not related to pregnancy, but any neglect may have undesirable effects on it.

This moment was captured when I was still alert, right before the return of my dreadful fever that made me shiver and unable to sit or lie down still on the bed in the ward.

After about 24 hours, I gained some energy and appetite. Here are some of the food that I was served with:

Breakfast.
This is one of the lunches I had... grilled fish skewer with yogurt, boiled vegetables and whipped potato
Papaya and salad together with lunch

As these are food served in the hospital, they are prepared according to the healthy-version manner... low in salt, sugar and oil. The food are mostly grilled or boiled, and the "kuih" served during tea time is the low-sugar version, which I actually prefer because I'm a non-sweet-tooth person.

In front of my bed is a TV to keep myself occupied whenever I was awake. But then I was mostly asleep because I was tired, and lying down excessively had resulted in a little shoulder ache.


What Transpired That Day...

What a time to suffer from infection! The night before, I suddenly felt a strange chill all over. Suspecting a fever, I took my own temperature and voila, it's comfirmed. My stomach felt very unwell too.

I sought my brother for help to take me to the hospital in the middle of the night as I was by myself at my place that day. I went to Columbia Asia Hospital Cheras (in Balakong, near AEON Cheras Selatan) the nearest from home and also where I go for my antenatal check-up, apart from KKIA. I knew I had to be quick and yet be considerate towards my sleep-deprived brother, and thus Government hospital did not come into picture that night.

I only received outpatient treatment that night. Back home, I didn't think that my condition improved. I had a hard time falling asleep. The fever persisted despite taking Paracetamol twice.

The Next Day
Still not feeling right and based on instinct, I went back to Columbia Asia. This time around, I was referred to a physician, Dr Amir Ramli.

Blood and urine tests were done. I was diagnosed with AGE (acute gastroenteritis), and was dehydrated. That explains the extreme exhaustion I was experiencing. I was by myself, and was advised to be admitted.

And there I was, in the ward by noon, administered with IV drip after lunch, and having a fever. At that moment, all that came into my mind was the kid inside. I was afraid of any harm to it. After going through so many difficulties, why am I seem to be suffering misfortune after misfortune? Whatever it is, please spare my child...

Not Surprising
On the third day in hospital, I was taken to see my gynae for ultrasound scan. I was relieved that the kid appeared fine.

But what was that thing that I saw? My gynae, Dr Norshida asked if I'd like to know the sex of my baby. My reaction, just as expected was that I didn't want to know it.

But I saw it despite the blurry eyes, and I thought "uh oh, this is not surprising, but I'm sure my husband will be".

My Overall Comment on Columbia Asia
On the whole, I was happy with the service and facilities at Columbia Asia Hospital. I was in a double-bedded ward with attached shower and washroom. There's an LCD TV for each person with a few selected ASTRO channels. The staff were attentive, polite and prompt in their service.

Each patient who "checks-in" is given a set of toiletteries comprising toothbrush, toothpaste, 1 small-sized towel, 1 medium-sized towel, a comb, soap, shampoo, and a plastic cup.

The deposit (refundable) for each admission is RM300. If you are under any medical coverage, the customer care staff are very helpful in assisting you to secure your guarantee letter (GL). All you need to do is to show your medical card and they'll handle it properly for you... saves you from the headache of having to call here and there in times of distress during sickness.

Should the kid and I make it to the delivery stage, I'll definitely consider going back to Columbia Asia.

But being a patient in a hospital is definitely not a pleasant thing. Although properly attended to, being sick is never a good thing at all.

The Confirmation
What was a speculation for the rest of the night was finally confirmed the day after. When my husband came to pick me home, he asked if we could see our gynae because he's highly curious to know the baby's sex.

I prefer a degree of mystery, but my husband who's the opposite of me prefers things clear and straightforward. Despite the high number of patients awaiting their turns, Dr Norshida was kind enough to spare a few minutes with us. And so, my guess was confirmed. Anyway, it shouldn't even matter what my guess was, so let me just reserve it first.

I always tell myself
To have a child is to take a risk. At the end of the day, it's not up to me to design the fate of whoever that becomes my child. Even having the most perfect of genes doesn't guarantee that an offspring will be perfect, because the world is more than science alone. So, let's not worry unnecessarily, let's not allow my fear to ruin the moments of pregnancy.

Call me fatalistic, but as much as we'd like to deny it, fate does play a role in so many aspects of life. After all, we humans can only plan... but whether a plan materialises or otherwise, is beyond our control.

Conclusion
I have said in the past, I'm prepared for both weathers, rain as well as shine. The months to come will surely keep me waiting anxiously as if waiting for another major examination result in which I expect certain result, or else we'll be doomed.

4 comments:

  1. Good that you are doing well.
    I am looking for columbia asia at balakong there too.

    I hope it is a good hospital for gynae checkup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keeyit,

    Thank you. From my experience, it's a nice place for check-up with good gynaes to select from (2 are residents, 1 is not). The hospital has adequate facilities to handle most cases. But in my case, I was eventually referred elsewhere because I had premature labour that requires the ventilator at the NICU, which is not available at Columbia Asia in Balakong.

    Good wishes to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cassandra,

    I stumbled upon your blog when I was looking for reviews on Columbia Asia gynaes.

    Just wanna find out further from you, do you go there for your monthly antenatal check up as well? What are usually their charges? The gynae is a lady?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi richrach,

    Yes, I went for my antenatal check- ups at Columbia Asia Cheras. Each check-up is RM1xx. There is 1 lady gynae there.

    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete