Thursday, March 5, 2015

Year of the Goat. Happy New Year.


Today is the last day of the Chinese New Year celebration, popularly known as chap goh meh which stands for 15th night in Hokkien.  Happy New Year of the Goat...

(1) What lies ahead for the festive season
Prior to the long break as CNY fell on a Thursday and Friday this year, among the FAQs received were "When will you be on leave?", "Only 2 days, such a short break, is that enough?", "Where's your hometown and when are you going back?", etc.

(a) Flashback to a year ago...
As any other ordinary person, I can only plan.  But what ultimately transpires is sometimes beyond contemplation.  Last year for instance, it was totally outside my imagination that I was to spend most of the CNY "celebration" at HUKM.  Ended up spending my entire third trimester at ward 2B for 2 months, which felt a lot like living in a dormitory, with shared bathrooms, makan ramai-ramai, the purple uniform, and a fixed daily routine.

Anyway, despite the dread and boredom at first, it was overall a pleasant experience after getting to know some new friends.   Lots of time to rest and sleep, but couldn't help missing the little guy at home.  While others enjoy yee sang and an array of festive dishes out there, I was only confined to bland hospital food.

It was the 9th day of CNY when threatened preterm labour occured (also at 29 weeks) and I was transferred to the HDU for tocolysis before undergoing the emergency cerclage.  Thankfully everything turned out well and Ken-ken did not come out during the CNY period.  "Be patient baby... the angpows can wait until next year..." I thought. 

(b) Cuti-cuti New Year
I only took a day off on CNY eve and another a day off post-CNY weekend.  After skipping Ipoh last year, we went there on the 3rd day this year to the home of my cousins+aunts in Bercham.

Scene along the PLUS highway.  
(This is an old picture taken a few years earlier... not during the recent trip)

Alvin was in a rebellious mood.  The rebellion was probably further aggravated by a previously-unknown fact that he's car sick, as he had never puked in car prior to this.  Puking can be traumatising to a young child, and worse when it occurs in a strange place.

Speaking of Alvin and some of his behavorial/sensory issues...  It's NOT TRUE that Alvin's rebellion is due to seldom going out, as what a few concerned relatives said to my parents-in-laws.  He was seldom exposed to crowds before he turned one due to low immunity as a very preterm baby... but after that, he started going out, unless he's having flu or something like that.  I swear that he had been to more places than me at the age of 1+ compared to when I was 5 (i.e. visits to local attractions, not overseas). But then this is my fear... how to bring him to people's house without his  resistence?  Tak bawak kang unfair to him...

Maybe this is related to prematurity as very preterm babies are born with immature brains.  Or maybe it's not.  If by God's will, things works out successfully, I shall try to share them here for the benefit of those under the same shoe.   Issues may not end upon discharge from the NICU, no matter how positive things appear to be at first.  The longer your baby stays inside your womb, the better it is... even by a week.  I don't know whether to be happy or otherwise, but I have probably been chosen to walk a path that differs from the majority... and parenting an ex-prem baby may or may not be the same as for other children.

Despite being a brief, simple and impromptu one, the one-day trip to Ipoh was memorable indeed.  From meeting up with family members whom I've not seen for a long time to passing through places that was once a part of me, I cherished them a lot despite already not feeling well a few days earlier... oh my sorethroat!

(2) The voiceless CNY
On 1st day of CNY, swallowing felt painful to me.  Body temperature was up at 38 deg C by evening.  All clinics around my place, including non-Chinese doctors, were closed for public holiday.  The only safe home remedy available?  PCM and Difflam lozenges.  Tahanlah dulu....

The same thing persisted on the following few days, coupled with cough later on.  I lost my voice completely on Sunday (Day 4), a day after the visit to Ipoh.

On Day 5, when the panel clinic resumed operation, I went to see my regular dr.  I had no voice at all, thus wrote everything on a piece of paper and showed it to the dr.  Fever was still on after so many days... although just very mild.  A medical leave of 2 days after the CNY break was a lil against conscience, as if taking advantage to sambung cuti.  But, commit no fault and hence fear nothing...

Remaining silent, especially when in front of the kids was very odd esp when they are too young to understand why you're suddenly all-quiet with them.  Then they'd frown in front of you, as if wondering why, when they hear your strange voice.

(3) Conclusion
Today, on the 15th day of CNY, my voice still has not fully-recovered although improvement is starting to be more visible now.   :p

Fortunately the voice came back early this week or else I might have to miss the sponsored CNY luncheon again at my workplace.   It's very thoughtful of the management to organise such an event for its (minority) Chinese employees, so how could I have the heart to skip it... unless I genuinely couldn't be present, as in last year?

No comments:

Post a Comment