Wednesday, April 24, 2013

In Return of What's Been Taken

Thanks to the kindness and generosity of blood donors, my kid pulled through anemia of prematurity.  Likewise, my mother was given a fighting chance. 

My loved ones had taken from blood donors amongst the general public... so when will the day come for me to give something in return?

Introduction
Long ago, I had always thought it would be a good idea to donate blood whenever I can.   However, due to various reasons, I didn't get to do it for the past few times until recently.

My donor book

The medical officer who had examined me told me to give 300 ml because I was a first-timer(people normally give around 450 ml).  Before starting, she had also told me "drink more water and refrain from heavy work for the next 24 hours". 

AB for a fellow AB

Uh no, I didn't take any picture of myself donating blood because I was too shy to be seen cam-whoring by nurses and folks around me.  

The aftermath?  I took close to 45 minutes to complete 300 ml, which is a long time takenOthers who started around the same time but donating much more than me had all left when I was still there. 

Upon finishing, I was offered some high-calorie i.e. very sweet food - Milo and muffin.  Being a non-sweet tooth person means I'd always skip sweet stuff (sweetness and I don't sync!).  But since it's a necessity to eat high energy snacks under such a scenario, I went along.  Didn't want to risk collapsing in the midst of a crowd.  Donors were also provided with 5 days supply of Folic Acid and iron supplements. 

2 days later, I developed highly visible bruises on my arm.  The skin around the "poked" site looked maroon, blue, and even yellow.  Colourful indeed. 

Anyway, it was generally a pleasant experience and I'm thankful that everything went well.

If the little amount of my blood can help save or give someone a fighting chance to live, I shall be much delighted ... just like what others had done for my naughty one at home.   :)   If it so happens to go out to a premature baby in need of transfusion, here's blood from one ex-preemie to another with love.

But I was a little sorry though that the 3 pints of blood (or 4?) transfused to the maternal grandmother of my naughty one a.k.a. my mother didn't save her as the hemorrhage from her aneurysm was already too severe.  Nevertheless, I'm still grateful to donors who had given her a chance to live.

(Note: I like to describe my mother as "Alvin's grandmother" because she could have been one if she's still around.  Nevertheless she is - the "posthumous grandmother"!)

No comments:

Post a Comment