Monday, July 11, 2016

Back Home... In Ipoh

On day 1 of the Hari Raya public holiday, we made a trip to Ipoh... a place called my hometown because there's where I was born.

But apart from being my place of birth and where my former family home was in, I'm otherwise pretty estranged from this city of delicacies, as I spent my entire life-in-school-and-beyond outside Ipoh, and hence had minimal experience being an "Ipoh girl".

Memories of my mom's humble garden at my former home

Anyway, I'm happy that I still have family members living in Ipoh, namely my aunts and my cousin. So, whenever I happen to be there, I'll pay them a visit them.

After the demise of my paternal grandmother in 2011, gone are the days when family members of all ages and from various locations used to come over and gather for lunch on Chinese New Year.

How time flies!  It's been 5 years since I had a home in Ipoh.  During this trip, I saw a number new developments, mostly comprising hotels, luxurious residences and some shopping malls... among them is AEON Station 18 which is ten minutes away from my former home by car.

My former home with new occupants today

Apart from all that, Ipoh appears largely the same as before, as I'm still able to get around without major hassles.

On a cloudy Wednesday evening...

Left: Ipoh Parade and Main Convent.
Right: Sam Tet School and the famous Tong Sui Kai (or dessert street, which opens at night) by the side, with new development called The Octagon (mixture of serviced apartment and retail outlets).

I felt a sense of proximity to my mother when I was Ipoh, because I spent a lot of my time with my mom in Ipoh after her retirement, and perhaps also because there's where her final resting place is.

On the positive side, fortunately Alvin did not suffer from car sickness this time, unlike last year. Both kids slept well and adapted generally fine as "Ipoh boys" throughout the stay.

If time permits and given a similar opportunity in the near future, I'd like to revisit more places in town, as well as meet up with more folks whom I've not met for very long in Ipoh, as well as in BG which is only 20 minutes away.  Let's look at the schedule and see how then.

No comments:

Post a Comment