Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Of Comfort Zone and Change

More than 6 years down the line, comfort had obviously crept in.  Same thing, same place, and same capacity.  And thus comes the questions, "What's next?".

I have 2 options:
(1) To remain in my comfort zone; or
(2) To abandon my present comfort and shake myself up to do something more challenging.


The blessing in disguise
I was initially doubtful if I could find anything out there, if I were to believe what was remarked to by someone who was kind of insinuating that I was getting too comfortable and going nowhere.

However, looking back, but for the hint, I wouldn't have thought of looking around for something supposedly a level above than the present.

For good or otherwise?
Since I have not come to the actual stage itself yet, the time now will be too early for me to tell if the pasture outside is indeed greener or otherwise.  But those in-the-know, including a few peers who secretly know it, have been very supportive of the idea.

So, with a heavy heart, I challenge myself to get out of my personal comfort:
(1) Despite the move from permanent employment to contractual employment, although the latter may possibly turn permanent...
(2) Despite leaving behind a beautiful place that's akin to my second home and good colleagues...
(3) Despite moving from where I'm familiar with, to somewhere I am highly unfamiliar with and will surely lose my way if not for the road signs... the only advantage is that the latter place is slightly nearer to my home...
(4) Despite leaving behind the same thing that I've done again and again, then less and less after > 6 years...
(5) The new role and responsibilities will be heavier than the present one...
(6) Last but not least, it will be an uphill task, at least in the beginning, to turn what I do on a once yearly basis into part of my core duty.

Credit: Classic FM

Right now, I am still figuring out how to finish up as many existing tasks as possible, then do the necessary.  Is it possible to leave without leaving behind a pile of trash?

No comments:

Post a Comment