Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Nostalgic Batu Gajah

Batu Gajah, or simply known as BG is my adopted hometown, besides my real hometown in Ipoh. During my latest trip back to Ipoh, I was glad to have the opportunity of stopping by at Batu Gajah, which is about 20 minutes away from my home in Ipoh.

One of most exciting things of all was the long walk from Jalan Dewangsa to Changkat. It brought back the sweet memories of the days when I was at St Bernadette's Convent.

Below are a few random phone-captured photos during my stroll up the slope of Changkat from the town center:

1) The town playground:


I used to go to this playground a few times in a year when I was in pre-school. I used to go there together with my brother, being looked after by my babysitter while my mom went to work.
2) The old Court House in Changkat:
This building used to house the Magistrate's Court of Batu Gajah until the new court building was completed about a decade ago. It's obvious from the architecture that this building was built during the British colonial times. If I'm not mistaken, this old Court House building accomodates the land office now.
3) St. Joseph's Catholic Church
The church looks pretty far away from where I stood to take this picture with my humble Sony Ericsson S302.
What's sentimental about St. Joseph is that it formerly had a pre-school, in which I was one of the pupils.
Not as if I've attended many different schools though. But I notice that all the schools that I've attended consist of Catholic schools. I suspect that this is possibly attributed to the fact that my dad is educated in a Catholic school (St Michael's Institution - SMI), and thus, he's prone to sending his beloved kid to similar type of school. Maybe because (now formerly) missionary-run schools are mostly old and pretty well-known?
Conclusion
It's been many years ago since I formally bidded farewell to BG. However, I was there for a few times in between.  Meeting my friends on a few occasions, and going there with my mom for her business one a few other occasions.

No comments:

Post a Comment