Sunday, May 6, 2012

The "Green Tea and White Chocolate Chips Cookies" Project

Having inherited plenty of cooking materials, inter alia flour, green tea powder (matcha), and baking powder, I thought of making good use of them rather than allowing them to go to waste.  Baking came into mind, but being a total novice in baking, it took me some time before I decided that I was finally ready.

This is my debut project involving cookies. As a start, I've decided to try something humble, one that's easy to follow through.  

Thanks to the author of Da Washoku Kitchen, below is the result of what's adapted from her recipe (please click the link to be directed to her original recipe) - the Green Tea Matcha and White Chocolate Cookies.

With the necessary ingredients and tools from my brother's chef toolbox (my brother did chef training before, but is retired from the kitchen now), but not knowing what to expect since this is my first time, here's a pictorial summary of the preparation and baking processes:

Dry ingredients: 150 g flour, 1 tbsp matcha, a pinch of salt, and 1/4 tsp baking soda 

100 g butter, 50 g granulated sugar, and 100 g brown sugar in mixing bowl

Butter and sugar.  

Mixture of butter, sugar and eggs.

Approximately 1/2 cup white chocolate chips

Mixture of dry and wet ingredients

My first batch of hand-drop cookies prior to baking.  I made it into the size of a dime.

Cookies freshly out of the oven.

The original recipe intended these cookies to be chewy, and they should be baked at 330 deg F (about 166 deg C) for between 6-8 minutes.  

However, as I intended to bake ordinary cookies for this time, i.e. those that crunch as you chew on them, I've modified the baking temperature to 170 deg C for 20 minutes.  

Overall, I'm glad that the baking project went fine, except that I ended up with pain on my wrists during the night after I finished baking and cleaning up.   Speaking of pain, it's either due to not being used to doing small things one by one all by myself, or due the bodily change occurring within.  

The cookies here looked less green than I've expected, perhaps the matcha I used is more olive-green than green in colour.  Taste-wise, each bite gives rise to a hint of matcha aroma. Thus, these cookies make ideal treats for green tea lovers.

Kiddy's grandma would have been happy to try the cookies; I used to tell her I wanted to learn to bake cookies, but she'd just missed the chance to witness it by a year!  These cookies could have been good for  Mother's Day.          

No comments:

Post a Comment